Sabtu, 19 April 2008

VLC with Unicode Subtitle

I've been thinking for an idea to written here and finally just got one after struggling with my VLC.
I guess you're already familiar with the player, right? most handy media player without need of any codecs. I was playing an Jdorama SP (Special episode of a particular Japanese drama series) with softsub subtitle, separate srt file, but wondering why the player displays array of squares instead of Japanese characters as written in the sub file.
Somehow I found the fix for it. Perhaps you already noticed the default VLC subtitle font is Arial. You may not know that this font does not support Unicode character such as Japanese, Chinese, Korean characters. I change the default font to Arial Unicode, which is the extended version of Arial, the characters are then displayed properly now.
[ VLC Settings » Preferences » Video » Subtitles » Text Renderer ]

I was thinking whether I can use any other fonts other than Arial Unicode that also supports Unicode, since I find Arial "has pretty standard appearance", unfortunately my Windows XP has only 1 font type supporting Unicode character.

FYI, the fonts can be found in the WINDOWS\Fonts folder, which by default inside the C: drive. Arial Unicode is stored as ARIALUNI.TFF
Btw, I was watching Proposal Daisakusen - Operation Love (プロポーズ大作戦). I think it's the best Jdorama I've ever watched or should I say "It's the only good Jdorama so far"? :p